Catch up on 3 SU news stories you may have missed this week

Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

No arrests were made in the Ackerman Avenue assault as of Sunday.

Here are three Syracuse news stories you may have missed over the weekend.

Woman with handgun assaults students

An unknown woman assaulted three Syracuse University students with a handgun at about 12:40 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue, the university’s Department of Public Safety said in a campus-wide email. The victims declined medical treatment for their minor injuries, per the email. An arrest was not made as of Sunday.

Both DPS and the Syracuse Police Department were on the scene past 1:00 a.m. Officers from both departments declined to comment on the incident.

University Lectures series announced

SU announced its speakers for the spring 2019 University Lectures series on Friday.

Nina Totenberg, a legal affairs correspondent for NPR; Martin Indyk, the director of executive education at the nonprofit Council on Foreign Relations think tank and Lynn Conway, a University of Michigan professor and LGBTQ+ advocate will all deliver lectures at Hendricks Chapel during March and April. The lectures are free to the public.

Totenberg helped lead NPR’s award-winning coverage of events following Anita Hill’s allegations of sexual harassment by Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas in 1991.

Indyk was the executive director and founder of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a position he held for eight years. He also served as the U.S. ambassador to Israel in 1995 to 1997 and 2000 to 2001.

Conway was fired from her job at computer hardware company IBM when they found she was undergoing gender transition. Conway later restarted her career at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. She retired in 1999, and created her trans-support website lynnconway.com. She’s currently an LGBTQ+ advocate and a professor of electrical engineering and computer science emerita at the University of Michigan.

All three lectures will begin at 7:30 p.m. on their respective dates and are open and free to the public.

Watson Hall water main break

Watson Hall’s drinking water was restored Thursday after several water main breaks left the residence hall without potable water.

A water main beneath Waverly Avenue broke last week, leaving Watson without water for several hours. Water was restored via a connection to a city water line, but the water was deemed unsuitable for drinking, residence hall officials said in an email.

Watson officials gave students water bottles to drink from free of charge.